The Moment is Now

I spend so much time thinking about what next that I often don't notice what I am doing at the moment. I am working on relaxing my mind so I can be open to the flow. Seems like when I am creating something the hours in my studio fly by.

My creative process, great learning resources, and ways to help the planet by repurposing are the theme of this blog. You are about to enter "the world according to Jan." Hope you find it a-musing.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Summer Time Studio Moves Outside


I enjoy the outdoors so in the summer it is really hard for me to spend time inside my studio.  My studio is a great little space, but the weather is so beautiful right now I like to take my work outside.

My favorite place to sit is by the Cook Shack.  I love to sit in a chair facing the morning sun with my wire work.  I usually go to my studio, gather up supplies, then take up residence at the Cook Shack for a day of creating.  I have discovered my lap top works out there so I can also blog and post on my sites which makes life even grander. There is a nice little sound of running water that comes from this pond that adds to the ambiance of the garden as a place to create.  When I need a break, I move the sprinkler,  pull a few weed, get some iced tea from the fridge in the shack then back to work.

However there are times when I need to work in the studio.  I can do wire working outside but if I am creating something with metal or drilling holes in beach rocks I need to move inside the studio.  I call my studio the Shiva Shop because a statute of Shiva is on top of the building.  Shiva is a creator and destroyer god so it seems appropriate since I am consuming natural resources to create pieces of adornment  When the days are blazing hot, the Shiva Shop stays cool so if I have to work in the shop I go there in the late afternoon.
Here's my bench with my bead boxes, wire, gems, and books. My bench is 8 feet long but that still doesn't seem like enough space.  I have it divided into sections and tend to do metal work at one end of the bench, art clay at the other and wire wrapping in the middle.  I have a chair in the studio at the moment but will soon be moving it out to get another bench put in there.  Funny because I started with a few beads in a box, moved to a cart, then a shelf and now I am outgrowing my 12 by 12 studio.  Luckily we have lots of little cabins on our place so I have moved my rock tumbler into another small building next door.

Here is my kiln for metal clay and enameling.   You can also see some metal working tools, my flex shaft, a vise,  torches and a basket with more supplies.  I have a fire extinguisher hooked to the side of the cart so it will be handy, but I  don't ever want to have to use it.   This cart is on wheels so I can move it around the room if need be.  I usually move it away from the wall when I am using the kiln.  Of course the basket of dog treats has to be taken off the top before I fire it up. During the winter, my two dogs insist on sharing this space with me.    All I have to do is say "Shiva Shop" and they run for the door.  I am pretty sure that "Shiva Shop" and "Wanna a Biscuit " are synonymous in dog speak.


Thanks for visiting my studio. Be sure to leave a comment so I know you stopped by.  If you want to visit other studios, you can click on this link and see all 300 plus blogger's creative spaces compliments of Karen Valentine's efforts.


42 comments:

  1. Rocking studio. I love it! Wow...all that nature around you. Beautiful.

    ox~Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an AMAZING, gorgeous view. I have a view of -- subdivision. Eck.


    I hope you'll have time to visit my spaces...

    http://www.prettythingsblog.com/2011/07/where-bloggers-create-2011-pretty.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are surrounded by so much inspiration. I can see why you like to create outdoors...although your indoors is pretty wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love central oregon, I have a friend that lives in Bend. Your work is beautiful and thank for stopping by my place too!
    ~Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, I can see why during the summer you want to be outside of your studio, because is is BEAUTIFUL :D Your studio is also very lovely, and has a great view :) Thanks for sharing!

    ~Alli

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a studio! I don't blame you wanting to be outdoors, your garden area is lovely and even the looks of your studio from the outside too. I love Oregon. I probably wouldn't get anything done, I'd just be happy looking at all that green! Thank you for dropping by my blog and leaving a sweet comment! :-) I'll be back to check out some of your work too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    It is so nice to meet you and visit your beautiful creative space - wow - what a lovely and inspirational place for you to work your magic.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need directions to your place!!! I want to visit the Shiva Shop! I LOVED seeing your beautiful setting. We are so lucky to live in Oregon. So glad you left a comment on my blog so I could learn about you. Love your funky, organic jewelry.
    Stop by when you're in Portland!

    maggie
    http://www.themagrag.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. So wonderful to meet another "outdoors-woman". Your studio is refreashing and you have a better view than I.. Create Happyness!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I love your studio. What great views. Your little studio in the woods is so fabulous and I love your windows. Thanks for visiting me too, I have really enjoyed your tour. I am now a follower as well and look forward to seeing your work.

    Have a great weekend,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it, love it, love it. I am not an outdoor person, typically. When I see a little house like this, with all the beautiful greenery surrounding, I know I could get very comfortable, living in a small space with so much beauty to look out upon. How could you not be creative with this view? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful place. Nice to see jewelry/metalsmithing spaces on one of the blogs on the tour. Love your spot and your work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I had the view that you do, I wouldn't get anything done! I'd spend all time gazing outside! Of course, you must understand... I live in the desert!! Thank you so much for letting have peak inside. :)
    xo,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I am now in my happy place......oh that's your studio? Well fine be that way.hehe. I love your studio, the flowers, the brook, the shabby yet tranquil look of it all. I am in awe. Come visit me over at Lilly's Lace!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh - what gorgeous property you live on! I love the fact that you have various little cabins to work in. I know what you mean about wanting to be outside. The garden always wins at this time of year. Thanks so much for sharing your space with us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful studio - inside and out! I started with a small box of beads and wire too - it's amazing how much things grow, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW What a beautiful studio. How do you get any work done with that view i love all your little cabins. Your gardens are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that you have your very own building or more than one. I think it is a wonderful thing to love nature and work with it in your life. Those big windows are fantastic. we have a big dawg too and I am sure 'you wanna go out' and 'what did you do?' are the same as 'want a cookie' too LOL
    Thanks for the very

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness, with that view out that big window it is easy to understand how it lures you outdoors on the nice days. I know it would me! Thank you for sharing your lovely spot!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a gorgeous spot. Oh gosh it is beautiful. I can hear the birds singing as we speak! You must be tremendously inspired working here. *smiles* Norma

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Jan!
    What an awesome studio! Oh how a dream of a little cottage all to myself!!
    Thanks for stopping by:)
    paula

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the adorable little buildings and the outdoors that surround them!! I can see why you would work outdoors!!! What wonderful places to create!!! Thank you for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh man, a woman after my own heart! Gorgeous! I would love to have a little stream through our property (we've talked about building one, maybe someday). It must be so wonderful to sit near it and hear it's trickling. And those trees you have....OH they are eye candy to me! Thanks for letting me visit and for your La-boratory love. It's wonderful to meet you!

    ~magick~
    Meliss

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a wonderful place to create. I dream to have the same cottage.

    Thanks for your comments on my creative place.

    Bonjour de France
    Hogart (Helene)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a serine view... what a perfect place to sit down and create! TFS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous setting and studio! So glad I stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello from a scorching month long 100+ temp. Oklahoma where the grass is crispy and the dirt has turned to powder. Thank you! for showing the outside of your studio. It felt like a breathe of fresh air. I needed that today.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Aloha Jan,
    Forty-three acres! Wow!
    I love your studio, the view from and the fact that you have a building next door to use also as part of your studio. What a dream place,being surrounded by nature.
    thank you for sharing your beautiful space.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What an amazing beautiful studio you have with some gorgeous views.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Are you kidding me!!!
    I love your space and all the beauty that surrounds it!!
    Oh boy what treasures you must create in such an amazing place!!
    Thanks for sharing!!
    debbie
    mybrowneyegirldesigns
    x0x0

    ReplyDelete
  31. What great spaces indoors and out. How inspiring to have nature on your doorstep. Thanks for the tour and have a wonderful day. Angela

    ReplyDelete
  32. What beautiful studios and surroundings! How nice to hear running water! I lived in Oregon long ago and seeing that beautiful tree-filtered light makes me want to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow what beauitful views! You are truly blessed to have such a space to create in!

    ReplyDelete
  34. with all that nature and trees I would be too busy filming the wildlife to get any work done. Beautiful studio. Hugs Sara, thanks for the comments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh my, What an enchanting Studio. The gardens,trees, the whole setting has me totaly entranced. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I agree with Karen, I live in the desert also, so I probably wouldn't get much done either. what a perfect spot to create though! I love the woods and mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your space is amazing. I love the buildings.

    I'd love to know more about the cook shack.

    Wonderful garden.

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a lovely place to create in! Surrounded by nature and beautiful surroundings....Ahh, that would be my dream!
    Congratulations on such an awesome space!
    Thanks for sharing. I'm enjoying this blog party, so inspiring.
    Have a beautiful day,
    Reina

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beautiful studio in lovely gardens. How can it get any better than this?
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading your comments so thanks for taking the time to write a little something. Wishing you the best of all possible good. Jan E O