The Moment is Now

I spend so much time thinking about what next that I often don't notice what I am doing at the moment. I am working on relaxing my mind so I can be open to the flow. Seems like when I am creating something the hours in my studio fly by.

My creative process, great learning resources, and ways to help the planet by repurposing are the theme of this blog. You are about to enter "the world according to Jan." Hope you find it a-musing.

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Making a Tin Man Doll

I wanted to make my nephew the artist something for his birthday.  I looked in Linda and Opie O'Brien's book an got an idea for an art doll.  www.burntofferings.com

I found a picture of Van Gogh in an old calendar and attached it to tin with Omnigel..  I just used the gel as glue and added some layers on top to give it an oil painting feel   The top of his head was cut off so I made a hat from an Altoids lid and a strip off a Christmas tin.
It's tough walking on eggshells
I then cut his shirt out and added the arms like the template in the book.  His legs were some pastries on the front of another tin. I cut a couple of easter eggs off a tin and made them the feet.  All the components were fastened with mini eyelets with the exception of the head.  I used a pop rivet there because I wanted it to really be stable. He looked a little too Christmasy so I cut out a poster from a catalog and omnigeled it to his shirt.  I added another touch of the Christmas tin to match his hat.  Gotta have the outfit match ya know.  

A wirewrapped a tip of a paint brush since my nephew is a painter.  After a couple of tries with scrap wire I got a funky hand made for the other arm.  I stuck it through a hole and made a spiral on the opposite side to hold it in place.   

To add a hanger, I just ran some copper wire though a couple of eyelets.  Very fun and easy to make.  Also very green and postage was minimal.  So I now have another use for all those tins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comments so thanks for taking the time to write a little something. Wishing you the best of all possible good. Jan E O